Since moving to New York, I’ve been a die-hard Trader Joe’s shopper. My love for Trader Joe’s has only grown stronger since going Paleo. They’re always changing up their produce, bringing in new seasonal fruits & veggies, and always introducing new products weekly. If you’re just starting a Paleo lifestyle, you might have trouble creating a grocery list.Especially at a place like TJ’s, where everything is house brand. Thanks to Wicked Spatula for this great paleo food list from Trader Joe’s as inspiration. Have no fear, your ultimate Paleo Trader Joe’s guide is here:
First a few pointers!
- Make sure to plan out your meals in advance – if you’re just starting out, I recommend picking one protein and two vegetable sides.
- Don’t over-purchase! Unfortunately a majority of Paleo is fresh foods – which do perish. So only buy what you know you’ll use in the next week or so.
Ultimate Paleo Trader Joe’s Shopping List:
- Brussel Sprouts – Roast ’em in the oven and thank me later.
- Sweet potatoes
- Parsnips – Parsnip fries are the new best fries.
- Sweet Lettuce
- Spaghetti Squash – a magical vegetable if I’ve ever seen one.
- Butternut Squash (Cut & Peeled)
- Cauliflower – Changing the game with cauliflower fried rice.
- Bananas – whip some up in a blender with kale or spinach & get your greens in!
- Ground Beef or Ground Turkey – make yourself some meatballs with that spaghetti squash!
- Flank Steak – one of the best steaks at TJ’s at a great price, and use those yummy mushrooms!
- Chicken Breast or Tenders
- Frozen Mahi Mahi Filets
- Eggs – Get 2 containers, you’ll go through them FAST.
- Chicken Sausage – TJ’s has BOMB flavors including smoked apple chardonnay, like, thank you.
- Almond Milk – If I’m being honest, my favorite almond milk is currently the Whole Foods brand, but if you’re making one trip, make sure to grab some here!
- Coconut Milk – CANNED. Always canned.
- Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream – you’re welcome.
4. Condiments & Toppings
- Olive Oil
- Almond Butter Salted – this brand is the BEST!
- Sunflower Butter – in case you hate almonds, this nut butter is similar to peanut butter.
- Balsamic Glaze
- Raw Honey
- Curry Simmer Sauce – AMAZING. Put it on chicken with cauliflower rice and done.
- Herbs – Rosemary, Thyme, Dill, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro
- Coffee – I prefer flavored since cutting out dairy, so I opt for the French Vanilla roast.
- Organic Green Tea – I’m also big on skincare and green tea helps detox.
- Beef Jerky – get that protein!
- Larabars – perfect for on-the-go when you get the muchies.
- Plantain Chips
- Pistachios – new favorite nut
- Dried Fruit (Blueberries, Cherries, Mangoes, Figs, Cranberries – just make sure there’s NO added sugar!)
- Dark Chocolate (Over 70% and without soy lecithin).
- Sweet Potato Chips
And there it is! That should give you a good start on your Paleo journey. Don’t be afraid to go for new produce that you haven’t cooked before, it’s one of the best parts of being Paleo. Happy shopping!